Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Years Resolutions

And so this is New Year's. As you can see, I have not been very good at keeping the blog updated. Due to work my personal time has been minimal and my health not great. Hopefully though I will be able to keep this going a little better than I have been.

Lists, apparently, are going to be part of my life now. I have discovered at the age of 24 that lists make you life so much easier! In both in my work and personal life I began using lists in the last month. Now, many people have tried to make me use lists at various points in my life. I don't know if that was a matter of laziness (I highly doubt that but it has crossed my mind) or a simple matter of not knowing how to use it effectively, I had never liked to use lists and often end up losing before I've even begun. This is why I like the age of technology. Although I have not gone as high-tech is using a Blackberry due to the expenses, I have begun using premade lists and my computer a lot more than I have past. I have even purchased this wonderful programme which allows me to speak to the computer and have it write for me.

Now before you cry foul at me being lazy (there is that L word again) I have discovered in my adult life that the trouble that I had in school will probably continue to follow me all the way through my life. I have a learning disability and it took many years to accept it and to accept that even though I am fully capable of doing things the traditional way, it takes me so much longer than the majority of people I know. It is not about practice. I can practice till the cows come home. My brain is just not at the same speed as this fast-paced world.

So getting back to the original post: LISTS ARE AMAZING! And so I've concocted a few for this upcoming year. As I am a perpetual student, I will start with a list of things that I have learned this year.

So here is my list of things I've learned this year, 2009:
  1. Even though asking for help is not a weakness, it is still bloody well hard to do.
  2. The term Learning Disability is a really stupid term. I am not disabled. I am able. I just may do it in a different way or on a different timeline. 
  3. Cats are very cute and are wonderful companions when you are lonely. Especially if they have been rescued off the side of the highway.
  4. Bratting the person you love when both of you are in the shower is never, ever, a good idea to do when you have the express a desire to be spanked. They have no idea that water makes this sting that much more memorable.
  5. It is difficult to be unique when the world values familiarity.
  6. Lists are absolutely amazing!
Now these are not the main things I have learned but they are pretty significant to me. This year I have also discovered the wonderful world of blogs. Up until this point I had thought only spanking websites existed where you had to sign up or be part of a community. While this has made me understand that I am not alone, it has always been difficult for me to be a part of the community with social interactions and rules I don't necessarily understand. I've also found it difficult to forge friendships with people I don't have face-to-face conversations with. There are always inside jokes that seemed to happen that I often have no idea about.

A blog, on the other hand, seems to be a more intimate form the communication. Communities are wonderful to make you feel like you are part of a greater society but I have found that often it is the same people who contribute and although the friendship is welcomed and cherished, there is only so much they can offer you in your journey of discovery. Blogs often share information and details that most people are not comfortable sharing in conversations or posted in communities. They seem to be speaking to you and relating to you what they have discovered. They will not judge you but instead allow you to float in and out of the vast information out there.

This is turning out to be a little different than I had imagined this post to be! None the less I will get back to the original theme.

I am going to make several New Years Resolutions for the upcoming year.
  1. I will finish the story I had working on since 2004
  2. I will actually ask for a spanking.
  3. I will not drive my family insane for one full year.
  4. I will have a clean home at least one day of the week.
  5. I will consume less and try to be a good friend to the environment. I will eat healthier and take care of my body.
  6. I will learn to knit socks (weird I know, however, it will cut down on packaging and will also keep me busy and out of trouble)
I am sure I will come up with several more over the next two days. I am also sure that several will be made for me.

It is interesting how these posts never end up how I imagined them. I have written several of the past month and none of them I feel have been worth posting. Perhaps now with my new technology I will be able to fully bring my thoughts out of my head and share the words I have been longing to shout at the top of my lungs. Thank you giving me this opportunity to do so.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Yule, and a Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! I'm looking forward to visiting often. Happy New Year from a fellow Canadian.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much :) Hope you have a great New Year too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing from readers and I hope you drop me a line to let me know how you are doing!