Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Creative process (or lack there of) part three

I realized after I posted that I hadn't actually talked about writing a spanking scene at all...so I shall try and rectify that in this post! I am finding that there is no one to steer my tangents back on topic here on the web so until I get a little more practiced I fear there may be some pretty off topic ones.

So in my attempt to stay on topic I will try and stick to headers.

While I have been writing stories and spanking scenes for a couple of years I feel like I am still very much in the beginning of the learning process. In a way I hope that continues because without the need to learn, we never improve.

Voice:

I like reading stories which are written in the third person (he/she/it) because it often gives me insight in to both the spanker and spankee. The third person also allows the writer to extend the scene because it offers more chance for thought and doesn't rely on conversation to understand the other participant emotions and points of view.

I have never read a spanking story in the second person (you) but after giving it some thought might be fun to try and write one....

And that leaves my personal favourite to write in: the first person! Alright! If I'm honest, it might be the only one I can truly feel comfortable writing in. When I write I try to get into my characters head, imagine what they are thinking and feeling and being a spankee only it's rather difficult for me to get into the head of a spanker. I see the scene playing out in front of me.

I walked into the room, my shirt half unbuttoned as I began the shed the oppressive uniform I wore eight hours a day. I looked up from the last button, startled as the seated silhouette in front of me shifted, his clothing rustling against the straight back of the chair.

My stomach flipped as I remembered my promise to call if I had managed to make plans to meet a friend. I tossed the shirt I had slipped off my shoulders into the laundry basket. Debating my next move. I stayed near the door, slowly undoing my pant button and letting them drop to the floor. I grabbed an old pair of jeans from the basket, not wanting to risk having to cross the path of the creature in the shadows, who had now folded his arm across his chest.

"You won't be needing those for a while."

You get the picture. I have never been able to get into the spanker's head to my satisfaction and I applauded the many good authors who do on a regular basis. Choosing the voice is so important because it can really shape the way the story is written and how it is read.

Word Choice:

Let's face it, repeating the same words or phrases over and over does not a good story make. Sometimes one of the hardest things to me to do is find adjectives that fit the sentence. Often each word is just slightly different enough that it could change the tone or meaning of the sentence. Swat and smack are two such words, essentially meaning the same act but the intensity can be interpreted differently.

He swatted her behind as she danced past him, carefully keeping her eyes away from his and He smacked her behind as she danced past him, carefully keeping her eyes away from his denote two different tones to the scene. One is more playful and the other has a note of seriousness to it.

And with that said, I think I will leave my posts on the creative process for a while. Thanks to all who have suffered through them!

Stay Safe!

Felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing from readers and I hope you drop me a line to let me know how you are doing!